We've Moved


The blog has been retired - it's up for legacy reasons, but these days I'm blogging at blog.theodox.com. All of the content from this site has been replicated there, and that's where all of the new content will be posted. The new feed is here . I'm experimenting with crossposting from the live site, but if you want to keep up to date use blog.theodox.com or just theodox.com

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Tech art for art directors

I see that the slides from my 2015 GDC talk, Technical Art For Art Directors is now up on the GDC Vault. paywall warning Enjoy – and feedback in the comments is very welcome. I can post the slides if there is interest, but if you watch the video you’ll see that they don’t really work without the verbal context. I defy anybody who wasn't there to make sense of this image, for example....
I’ll say in passing that – despite the lack of text in the finished presentation – I had great luck putting this talk together in Markdown using DeckSet, which let me do the first 90% of the presentation without ever opening PowerPoint or Keynote. The slides were just one big plain text file, which let me put them up on github so I could version them and track changes without getting bogged down in the finicky formatting nonsense that ultimately consumes all slide decks. I particularly liked this workflow because I could work as if it was text but still run it as a slide show very early on, which gave me a chance to get my patter down and listen to the words instead of getting hung up on formatting text. Plain text FTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment