We've Moved


The blog has been retired - it's up for legacy reasons, but these days I'm blogging at blog.theodox.com. All of the content from this site has been replicated there, and that's where all of the new content will be posted. The new feed is here . I'm experimenting with crossposting from the live site, but if you want to keep up to date use blog.theodox.com or just theodox.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Mighty Morphin Module Manager Made Moreso

I've added a port of the Maya Module Manager I posted a while back to the examples included with the mGui maya GUI library.  This was an exercise to see how much the neater and more concise I could make it using the library.


Here's some interesting stats:

The original version was 237 lines of code, not counting the header comments. The mGui version was 178 without the header, so about 25% shorter overall.  There are about 80 lines of unchanged, purely behind-the-scenes code which didn't change between versions, so the real savings is more like 45%.   Plus, the original sample included some functions for formLayout wrangling  so real savings might be a little higher for more old-fashioned code.

Like I said last time, the mGui package is still evolving so it's still very much in a "use at your own risk" state right now... That said, I'd love to get comments, feedback and suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment